Legacy for Christ
Thank you for your interest in joining Legacy for Christ Speech and Debate Club!
To become compelling communicators for Christ equipped with the competence and character needed to influence our culture, always ready to listen attentively, think critically, speak articulately, and persuade effectively - able and willing to speak with voices of truth.
"Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have." - 1 Peter 3:15
"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity." - 1 Timothy 4:12
It is important to note that parents are required to attend meetings, as they are a vital part of the Legacy for Christ Speech and Debate Club. This is not a drop-off program. Also, all new debaters are required to attend the Legacy for Christ summer debate camp, which is scheduled for Aug. 2-4, 2021. If our summer camp dates do not work for your family, please contact Jody Spencer, our New Members Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Location and Time on scheduled Thursdays:
701 Formosa Avenue
Winter Park, FL 32789-4596
Just off I-4 @ Fairbanks Avenue
9:45am - 12:00pm Debate
12:00pm - 12:45pm Lunch (Bring a sack lunch)
12:45pm - 1:30pm Opening Time & Bible Study
1:30pm - 4:00pm Speech
4:00pm - 5:00pm Extemporaneous (Current Events -- usually older students)
Membership deadline: July 15, 2021
Legacy trains students to improve their skills in communication through club activities such as apologetics and impromptu speaking as well as eight other speech events, debate, competitions, and speaking in the community. This fall we will be offering Lincoln Douglas Value debate, and will offer Team Policy debate if there are enough students interested. In the fall, our club focus is training and blessing our community. The focus for the spring is on preparation to compete in tournaments.
1. At least one parent must be present at Legacy Meetings with their student(s). Parents will provide critique and give feedback on speeches and debate rounds at club, and will be required to judge at NCFCA tournaments.
2. All families will be required to stay late and help clean up starting at 4:00 pm once or twice per semester. This takes approximately 30-45 minutes.
3. The oldest participating student in the family must be at least 12 years of age by September 1st.
4. A business casual dress code must be observed by both parents and students. For boys, we recommend khakis or dress pants with a dress shirt or polo shirt. For girls, skirts to mid-knee or dress pants with a blouse would be appropriate. Please note: no t-shirts, jeans, shorts, tank tops, or flip flops.
5. Students, ages 7-11, may attend Legacy and participate in our Juniors program if they have an older sibling actively participating in the club. Children age 0-7 are also welcome!
6. Students may join speech, debate, or extemp (current events), or any combination of the three. Most families participate in both speech and debate and that is what we recommend.
7. A family photo is needed for the Legacy website. This helps our families get to know each other.
8. Each parent is expected to assist the club in one area of need. These jobs will be discussed and you may volunteer in the category that fits best at the beginning of the school year.
1. The Membership Fee is $100 registration fee for each family, $50 for the first student, $40 for each additional student up to three students. The rest are free.
3. Keep in mind there will also be registration and travel expenses in connection with competing in NCFCA tournaments.
To join Legacy for Christ Speech and Debate, please READ AND SIGN THE DOCUMENTS LOCATED ON THE JOIN PAGE BEFORE PAYING FOR A MEMBERSHIP, then click on the membership link below and pay via PayPal for the first student. Please click on the Additional Children link below to pay for additional siblings. Please also email us a family photo after you registered.